Saturday, May 05, 2007

Photo Hunt:: Childhood

Two of my boys running on ahead of the rest of the family on a walk through the woods last fall.

There was absolutely no way that I could limit myself to one picture on the subject of childhood. I think we're almost destroyed childhood in our society by not giving children enough time to play actively and imaginatively. We over-schedule them and load them down with homework, but at the same time they often have little useful work to do. We try to entertain them to stave off boredom, giving them TV shows that make them grow up too fast and clothes that make them look like miniature teenagers. Making sure that my children have a childhood has been one of the great side benefits of homeschooling.

This is my oldest niece having a fantastic time at the park near our house.


These are my two youngest nieces with that childhood staple, Cheerios.


Two of my sons perusing the pages of the latest Lego magazine....

Me, with my cousin Ann, who is still a lot taller than me.
Bethany, at four, wearing one of her favorite things. Her childhood was one long game of dress-up!

7 comments:

Tanya said...

Nice collection of pictures.

photogfrog.livejournal.com

~Jennifer said...

I had the same problem when I was looking over my photos, and I almost posted a few pictures too. Some of them were very similar to yours, like the kids walking on a wooded path and the one where they are playing on a playground. I opted for funny, though. I couldn't resist when I happened upon the photo of my husband and his brother in their hockey jerseys.

Carole Burant said...

Such wonderful pictures and it's great to see kids playing outside instead of in front of the tv! We only have one childhood so why not make the best of it! hehe Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes. I have the same phylosophy--kids need plenty of time to imagine and be themselves. Most of our school day is child directed--though we have a scheduled hour a day of "seat work" the rest is free flowing and creative. Amazing the things they learn. Wonderful pictures.

Bethany said...

Such great pictures. Your little girl is adorable.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bethany! The pictures are precious--especially that one of the Princess!

Dapoppins said...

Hi..I am here by way of Jennifer's blog. Love the wooded path picture, brings up memories for me. And I would never be able to choose one either.