Sunday, November 03, 2013

A brief break from happy things

This weekend was the first of two scrapbooking retreats that I attend in a row. Something happened this weekend that I don't recall ever happening before at any of the multiple retreats a year that I've gone to over the last nine or ten years.

Political conversation.

 Not just once. Several times. In various groups of people. And always mainly about the Orwelliffically-named Affordable Care Act.

To me this is more proof that, unlike other government actions and overreaches, this one is hitting real people where they live. When a bunch of middle class, mid-western women--who seem far more interested in TV shows and pop music than politics--who are on a getaway weekend to indulge in a hobby, are so bothered by what their government is doing that it keeps coming up, something is wrong.


Very, very wrong.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I keep hearing it discussed in unexpected places, too. Just today, my neighbor, who is very much a whatever the 10 o'clock news tells him sort of guy, was telling me what a mess the ACA is.

Jane said...

Maybe this is finally waking people up.