Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Margin, take two, or maybe three

About exactly six months ago I began thinking and writing about the concept of margin. For a while I seemed to be getting a handle on my schedule. Then just a couple of things outside of my direct control turned my life into something resembling a game of pick-up sticks.
The kind of chaos that needs to end.


Fresh off a few really busy weeks, followed by a short vacation, I'm ready to get back to work on creating some margin in my life. I'm ready to spend some time on the things that I really want to spend time on. I'm ready to try to get rid of more of my physical and mental clutter.

This week, with the help and support of my boss, I've instituted a firm limit on the amount of time I will spend at work in a week. This is going to be a huge help. Now I just need to stick to it.

I've gotten my calendar out and scheduled some time for my genealogy, both my personal research and the work I need to do toward becoming accredited.

I'm trying to figure out what needs to happen with my house to make things as functional as possible.

I've set a date for a yard sale. And for a visit with the husband at his apartment. And a trip to the art museum. Because if these things don't get scheduled, they don't happen.

There are some variables that may make adjustments necessary. I will be a child-care backup for a friend's one-year-old this school year, and will have him most of the week from time to time. I may have family things that come up. Who knows what may happen. But, for now, it feels good to have something of a plan.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Even if plans blow up, I always feel better for having started with one.

Susan said...

I've been struggling the last few months with the amount of work (sigh!!) that it has been taking to "downsize" for the sake of margin. I want stuff out of the house; I want the garden smaller; I want things mulched so that there's less weeding; I want the pantry cleaned out and used up before I restock; etc etc.

I think when all these things are accomplished, I will have made some margin in my life. But right now, it's wearing me out to do it. And that seems rather self-defeating at this stage of the game.

Anyway, I feel your pain, sister. Let's both keep at it, with our eyes on the prize. :-)