Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More food

For dinner tonight we had caramelized brussels sprouts. They were sooo good. Even if you don't like brussels sprouts, I think it's very likely that you would like these. I can't even remember who posted about them. RPW? Beth? And maybe it was on Facebook, which makes it amost impossible to find again.

I've decided that I need to figure out how to grow them, because it was one of the yummiest veggies I've ever had.

We also roasted a Seven Sons turkey and marveled again at how much better these turkeys are than what we buy in the store.

UPDATE: Thanks to a comment from Beth, I now have the link to the recipe on RPW's blog. Thanks, Beth!

6 comments:

Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake said...

I love brussels sprouts. They're like delicious miniature cabbages! What's not to love?

Ritzman said...

It was RPW, but I linked to them on facebook. Here they are!
http://rebelliouspastorswife.blogspot.com/2008/07/carmelized-brussels-sprouts.html

RPW said...

Glad you liked 'em. They're one of my favorites, too.

RPW said...

Glad you liked 'em. They're one of my favorites, too.

As far as growing them, get them in soon. They are a cold weather plant, and they stop growing in the heat. I planted mine at Memorial Day last year and most of them never ripened.

The plants are big like cabbages, though not QUITE that big. Give them lots of space. If you plant them too close, they will stunt each other's growth. The best one I had was the only one in its bed. And keep your eyes peeled for cabbage worms. It got so I completely detested every butterfly I saw..especially the yellow ones with the one brown spot on each wing...grrrrr.

Elephantschild said...

My university extension office says to start brussel spouts in August, so they're growing into the cold weather. That's what we're going to try this year.

They're BIG plant, apparently! We'll see. We love "baby cabbages" at our house, too. Sparkle even eats them sometimes.

Kim said...

Our absolute favorite vegetables are chard and broccoli. I've found we also like rutabagas and asparagus. Since we started getting weekly boxes of local organic veggies we've really branched out. It makes us eat veggies in the winter, when we usually skip anything fresh, and it has made us try some really weird stuff!