Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Living in the past

Those photos sent me into a genealogical frenzy, the likes of which I haven't seen for a while. I have spent the better part of the past four days deeply engrossed in a couple of my family lines.

I have figured out a lot about the photos and I am going to post on my genealogy blog about that in a little while. We are fairly certain that we know where the house in the picture was. If you are familiar with the intersection of Coliseum Blvd. and Lima Road in Fort Wayne, you've been there. That was the site of my great-great-grandfather Louis Bracht's farm in the early 1900's.

All of this sent me to the library to look at other records, and I have learned much more about this branch of my family.

Since I was going to the library to look up Bracht obituaries anyway I decided to look at some other branches of my family who might have ended up in the Fort Wayne paper when they died.
In one of those I found that an ancestress had brothers with a different last name than her maiden name. Several hours of research later, I had discovered even more family ties to Allen County than I knew that I had.

This photo is Flora Bracht Hildebrand, the same woman who is holding the baby in the middle of the old picture. In this picture the baby she's holding is me.

6 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I remember playpens like that. I think mine was yellow.

And WOW that's a great set of pearls!

Anonymous said...

I can just "feel" you in that sweet, soft pink dress. Did you notice I had picked a bouquet of lilacs just for you? Yikes!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful photo of you in the yard at Magley! I'm sure Grandma had her laundry on the line bright and early....

Rev. Rick Stuckwisch said...

Speaking of pictures, Jane, I love the big one at the top of your blog, and I've wondered for a while now who the little girl is. Bethany? Or yourself? Whoever she is, what a great picture.

Jane said...

The picture at the top is me in my grandma and grandpa's back yard in Magley. The dog was their dog Penny.

Genuine Lustre said...

Don't they look smart and chic in those dark dresses?