Monday, July 02, 2007

A book that I didn't expect to like

Every once in a while I have to step outside my anti-Oprah box and read a book that has been endorsed as an Oprah's Book Club book. I read them, not because the O. has endorsed them, but in spite of that fact.

I decided to read The Road because I thought that the premise sounded interesting. A man and his son are walking south through the barren landscape after some unspecified apocalyptic event. I wasn't entirely sure that I would enjoy it, but figured that I might as well check it out from the library and at least start it to see how it was.

I certainly didn't expect that this would be a book that I couldn't put down. I read it in a few hours. I feel like I need to read it again to figure out exactly why I loved it. This is the first book that I've read in a long time that I want to discuss with someone.

So if you've read it, tell me what you think.

4 comments:

~Jennifer said...

I put it on hold at the library. There are 30 others waiting for it before me. (Happens to all the Oprah selections) There are 26 copies of it, though, so hopefully I won't have to wait long. I'll let you know what I think. :-)

Cheryl said...

I haven't read it but your post makes me want to! We're going on a family getaway to Galena, Illinois next week--we'll have lots of time to read and relax--I think I'll try to put my hands on a copy of this book to take along!

Jane said...

Good. Then we can talk about it!

Barbara Frank said...

I felt the same way the first time I read Plainsong by Kent Haruf. Isn't it great to find a book you really enjoy?

BTW I loved your post at my blog about how you've been buying food that's grown locally--our relatives south of Fort Wayne buy a lot of their food at an Amish grocery there, and they grow a lot of their own, too.