Monday, March 19, 2007

Sartorial agony

This piece by Lars Walker on the American Spectator site was a very timely read for me.

We've had our first warm days here in the midwest during the past two weeks and people are coming out from under their winter coats. I wish most people would keep them on. As I wondered through our local outdoor shopping center last week I was once again assaulted by cleavage and muffin tops.

As it gets warmer we will have the opportunity to read all sorts of vile messages on t-shirts. We'll have the pleasure of sitting next to some hairy guy in a tank top at a nice restaurant or some 60 year old woman wearing shorts and a t-shirt to the philharmonic. I'm just hopeful that the news has reached the young women of Fort Wayne that ultra-low jeans displaying a thong are OUT.

Join me in my crusade. Wear a dress to that concert. Don't go shopping in sweats. Wear clothes that don't grip your torso. And please, please, don't let your husband or son wear and tank top and baseball cap to a restaurant.

HT: Cranach


9 comments:

Stine said...

Hello! I like your blog!

Kim said...

Oh Jane, I totally agree!
Since we are having a really warm streak here, we are once again being treated to people in swim wear walking around town. Going to the market should not involve having to see women in bikini tops.

Melynda said...

Right on, Jane!

Although I don't think that bikinis are appropriate for pubic even when sun bathing or swimming. I sure won't get any for my kids!

I happen to think the skirted bathing suits are cute anyway!

Melynda said...

Uh, meant public. Somehow I doubt spell check would have gotten that anyway. Sorry.

Marie N. said...

Amen! Amen!

Remember when people dressed up to fly on an airplane?

Jane said...

We still dress up to fly and we've noticed a marked difference in the way we're treated when we're well dressed.

I've heard people say that they want to be comfortable when they fly, but I find most dress clothes far more physically comfortable than jeans.

Genuine Lustre said...

That was good. I was in an Old Navy yesterday and thinking how the clothes are pretty much disposable - cruddy fabrics, bad finishing. It's ok for kids playclothes, but women of a certain age should have a little more class. Better to take care of a 40 yr old well made wool skirt than to buy 10 knit items and have them fall apart. And I'd like to bring back the girdle and stockings while we're at it. This winter we watched a WWII movie called Charlotte Gray, with Cate Blanchette, and she had the most beautiful practical wardrobe.
Jane - do you ever look at The Satorialist blog? He takes pictures on the street and he aways finds the cutest old men in suits and hats - just like Grandpa used to wear.

Rachel said...

While I do love the idea of nice, classy clothes, I would have to revolt if a girdle were involved...

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I love the idea of clean, stylish clothes on men and women. . . but girdles can't really be healthy can they?