Monday, February 26, 2007

Akeelah and the Bee

I know we're behind here, but we saw Akeelah and the Bee this weekend and absolutely loved it. If you haven't seen this movie yet, go rent it. It is a very sweet story about a little girl from south L.A. who becomes a champion speller. With the exception of a small amount of language there is nothing that even the most careful parent could object to.

I was a speller in grade school and junior high and I remember the tension, the huge butterflies in the stomach, and the excitement of spelling a word correctly. I also remember the devastation in eighth grade when I lost my last bee and knew that I was never going to the national spelling bee. We didn't do the methodical preparation that champions do now. (Did anyone do that 30 years ago?) And we certainly didn't have coaches. I had my word list from Scripps-Howard and that was it.

Anyway, the movie is worth seeing. My kids all loved it. And now Andrew wants to learn to spell.

1 comment:

Marie N. said...

ugh! Spelling is my downfall. My dictionary is my friend.