Friday, June 16, 2006

Two fundamental laws

I love Richard Maybury's Uncle Eric books. Even after earning a degree in history with a political science minor and two semesters of economics, this little set of books really clarified some things for me. They helped me develop a framework for looking at economic and political issues that is consistent with America's founders. I have worked through them with my two oldest kids (15 & 19) and they are often helpful in seeing the weaknesses in laws, court decisions, or economic or political moves.

One of my favorite parts of his writing--and one of the foundational ideas--is the value of common law. He sums up the common law in two statements: "(1) Do all you have agreed to do and (2) do not encroach on other persons or their property." Contract law is encompassed in #1 and criminal law in #2.

My son and I had quite a spirited conversation last night about these statements and the implications for society if the were followed. (This came up because I had encounters with people violating both of these yesterday, leading to my deleted rant.)

If you've never read these books, I highly suggest them. The Thousand Year War in the Mideast is very timely.



3 comments:

Marie N. said...

When do you recommend starting with these books? 5th grade (logic stage)? High school (rhetoric stage)?

Several people have recommended them to me over the past years. I've written them all down on my "Be sure to study these some day" list, but I've not bought them yet. My oldest will be in 4th grade in the fall.

Jane said...

I think that reading the first couple together in about fifth or sixth grade works well. I would then do them again in high school.

Aaron.D.Nemoyer said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for some good politic, law, economics book.