Sunday, August 10, 2008

One of my favorite Olympic moments ever

When I was in high school a coach at a cross-town rival told the newspaper that their team was going to "beat us to death" in the sectional. It made our triple-overtime victory that much sweeter.

A similar situation happened tonight with our American swimmers. The Frenchies were going to "smash the Americans," or so they told the press. Instead the Americans smashed the world record, and Jason Lezak swam the fastest relay split in history.

Addition: On a gorgeous summer evening, sitting here with the windows open, we could hear a number of neighbors screaming when the team won, too. Then the dogs got going. It was quite the celebration.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That was AWESOME! I don't have a DVR so these games have got to get finished so I can get something done around my house!

I just purchased the Olympic Fanfare & Theme (I don't know why it's taken me this long) on iTunes and I've listened to it about 4 times in a row!

We watched the gymnastics too and if Bob Costas is the person commentating on that - I completely agree with you! I wish I could fast forward all those comments!

Nat said...

I liked how half the footage afterwards was of Phelps shouting with glee.

designHER Momma said...

that was seriously one of the best moments in sports history for me! They freaked out!

And didn't you love how the French guy couldn't get out of the pool? He's gonna regret for the rest of his life what he said.

Awesome!! I love, love , love Olympic swimming.

Anonymous said...

From what Kate tells me, you might also have been hearing shouts from your Southport brother.