Sunday, June 29, 2008

My workout plan

I started a new workout plan a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be working.

I call it the "Foremother's Workout."

It involves cleaning, gardening, cooking, doing laundry, hanging wash on the line. Endless variety! And at the end of the day, not only have I burned calories, but I've also accomplished a lot. Today I weeded, tended flowers, gardened, pruned trees, and trimmed bushes. I feel tired, but in a really good way.

This doesn't mean I'm abandoning the Y, but I have so much to accomplish right now, that if I can work and exercise at the same time it is an excellent thing! And I am feeling muscles that I haven't felt for a long time!

6 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I love this kind of work. I hate exercise for the sake of exercise, but I'll spent a 10-hr day work hard on home improvement, landscaping, gardening, etc.

It's all got good mental benefits, too. All that hard work, and good sense of accomplishment, too!

Jane said...

Yep. Sore muscles in the pursuit of fresh veggies, clean clothes, a lovely yard, or freshly painted rooms are quite satisfying. From the treadmill...not so much.

Dakotapam said...

good for you! I wish I loved yard work, but sadly all I love is the pretty yard!

Glenda said...

My only problem with this workout program is that I want to just keep going, and going, and going, energizer bunny like. Then I simply drop, exhausted, and it takes a few days or weeks or well, lets be honest, months before I do it again. Somehow I really need to learn moderation.

Jane said...

Yeah, I do the same thing. I'm trying to learn moderatoion but I tend to be an overdoer. :)

Anonymous said...

Great plan! I always think of all the energy wasted on a machine that could be going into something useful and achieve the same results. :-)