Monday, June 09, 2008

Being a careful consumer

Has it always been so hard to make sure you aren't being overcharged or that you're getting the service you pay for?

It seems like I am spending a huge amount of time lately dealing with payments that aren't credited, extra items on invoices, double billings, and refund credits that don't show up. I don't know if it's because everything is computerized and there are no checks in place or if this really happens all the time and I'm just lucky to be catching it.

Last month there were double charges for gasoline that I had purchased that showed up when I checked my account online. I'm spending hours on the phone because of improper coding for an emergency room visit because the insurance company and hospital can't seem to communicate.

Maybe this is amplified for me because I have to deal with the church's finances as well as my own. But I'd really like a break from having to be so vigilant.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Good luck with your hospital coding error. I spent countless hours on the phone with Riley Hospital after my preemie son was born. It never did get fixed... we finally ended up paying $1300 that we owe just to get rid of the debt!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Sorry, that should have said, "DIDN'T owe!"

Kim said...

I've had a number of double charges on our debit card over the last year, it is frustrating.

I've also spent days fighting with UCLA medical center of the past year. Every visit we make there is messed up in one way or another. They even refused to bill one visit because they waited so long the insurance company would automatically deny it, they expected me to just pay it! I spent 3 hours on the phone with the insurance company and UCLA finally filing a grievance that got the bill taken care of.