Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Why can't I just have the flu?

We thought that I was just having a light case of the bug that my boys have had, but some of my symptoms weren't fitting.

I made a visit to my doctor yesterday and it seems that I am most likely having a recurrence of the Guillain-Barre Syndrome that I had a little over eight years ago. Right now it's not at a point where they will do anything, but if my symptoms get worse I may end up in the hospital.

Right now I'm at home trying to take it relatively easy and trying not to constantly dwell on whether the numbness is spreading, whether I'm getting weak, and whether I can still swallow.
Ugh.

10 comments:

Gen said...

Oh Jane, I sure hope not. I'm praying not.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Wow. Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Praying here too!!

Larry had a parishioner with that a few years ago~scary at times.

Meg_L said...

oh my Jane,

Hang in there.

Cheryl said...

Oh no, Jane, I'm so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well (and what it might be). Praying that things would not worsen and that you would soon be on the mend.

Genuine Lustre said...

Jane! It's one thing after another at your house. Hope you feel better soon - I will pray for you. Take care of yourself.

Marie N. said...

Peace be with you. And rest too.

Anonymous said...

Jane if that is true I would suggest you get to the hospital immediately and start IVIG treatment. It may help lessen the severity.

Jane said...

Thanks, all.

Anonymous, I would love to be able to get a definitive diagnosis and do that, unfortunately the medical establishment doesn't seem to be taking this very seriously.
I went to the ER last night, as directed by my doctor because I was beginning to feel weak. According to ER standards my situation is not acute. So they sent me home with instructions to call my doctor. My doctor is currently trying to get a neurologist--who told the ER folks last night that GB doesn't move quickly--to see me before May.

Susan said...

So maybe it doesn't move quickly for many people. (On the other hand, that doesn't fit what I've heard...) But given the amount of time you were hospitalized before, why aren't they taking it seriously RIGHT NOW????