Saturday, July 28, 2007

On a mission

Today I'm in detective mode. My mother showed me this picture yesterday and I want to figure out who these people are and where they were. The first will be easier than the latter, because we have some clues about the people.


We are fairly certain that these are some of the same people. It may have even been taken the same day. The taller woman in the center who is holding a baby, with a little girl standing in front of her is my great grandmother.

I think I know about when this was taken, but if any of you are photo-dating buffs I'd appreciate the input.

3 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Awesome! Love the first pic because it's so casual.

I'm going to guess 1910. The grannies are still in the 1890s in their black, the kids are wearing drop waists, and the dark haired girl just right of center is wearing a very 1910-1915 white dress.

Genuine Lustre said...

Hmm. After looking again, I'm going with a later date of perhaps 1917 or so. I see some shingled haircuts on the children, yet the women's hair is still being worn very tight. I know that everybody thinks of the flappers in the 20s, but that wasn't the norm in the rural midwest. My grandma still looked like a Gibson Girl throughout the 20s.

Anon1188 said...

Hi. I have a question in reference to this picture. I was wondering if by any chance you know or have any information regarding the Conrad's that you noted are in it. I have some family that lived in the Berne and Magley. My great-grandfather (John Lewis Conrad 1892-1936) was a Reverend at the Cross Reformed Church, and I am wondering if there is a connection to Sophia Kruetzman (Conrad).