Saturday, May 06, 2006

To the Other Side of the World

The last couple of days have been full of preparations and shopping because Bethany is leaving Tuesday for Australia for almost a month. Intellectually, I understand that she is going to be gone for 26 days, but I keep wondering at what moment it will hit me that my baby is gone to the other side of the world and won't be back for weeks.

I'm not worried. She has traveled overseas before. She has flown alone to Florida. She is a bit nervous about changing airlines at LAX, but heck, I'd be nervous about that! She will be staying with family. Colin's younger brother and his wife live in Sydney and they have all kinds of fun planned for her.

I suppose it's good practice for me. Her junior year she's planning to study for a semester in Germany. (I plan to visit, of course!) And I guess someday she'll get married and leave home, but I'm hoping she won't go too far away.

3 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

I will never forget my first air trip. I was 18 and alone and going to Germany. I got to JFK and discovered I had been bumped off my flight, but luckily got on anyway. I cried and threw up all the way. A nice retired couple from Albequerque took me under their wing. We landed early in the morning and the airport was deserted. An airman saw me looking lost and offered to take me on a shortcut thru the airport. I was never so glad to land at Frankfurt and see an American serviceman in my life!
The flight home was better. I felt more worldly, and buried myself in a Danielle Steele paperback.

I'm sure she will have a wonderful time. You are lucky to have family there who will give her this opportunity.

~Jennifer said...

Australia! Oh wow. Lucky girl. Poor mom. :)

~Jennifer said...

Australia! Oh wow. Lucky girl. Poor mom. :)