Monday, May 08, 2006

Brahms would be pleased

The Bach Collegium's final performance of the 2005-2006 season was absolutely wonderful. They performed Johannes Brahms' German Requiem (in English). The Collegium, under the excellent direction of Dr. Daniel Reuning, surpassed anything that I have heard from them before, and offered what is now my favorite performance of the Requiem. I only wish I could have a recording. The text of the Requiem is beautiful, but the thing that really made this performance stand out was the use of period instruments and the smaller size of the group. It was goose bump inducing!

If you are in the area and haven't been to a performance, next year's schedule will be on the website shortly. You really need to hear them. There is nothing like live music well-performed.

1 comment:

Genuine Lustre said...

Jane - there is a Bach chamber group about 50 minutes away ( Columbus) that performs in a Roman seminary - I'd love to go sometime. Granted, it's not Dr. Reuning, but something I'd like to catch sometime.