Friday, May 19, 2006

Rotten Tomatoes for the DaVinci Code

I really hadn't planned to say anything about the DaVinci Code movie. There's enough hype about it, but I can't help but be a wee bit pleased that it is, apparently, not a very good movie. Most of the reviews have been lackluster and Rotten Tomatoes is rating it as pretty rotten.

I read the book for my book discussion group over two years ago and found it to be mildly entertaining as fiction, but badly written and very draggy. I've always loved a good conspiracy theory, but a good conspiracy theory can't just ignore facts that don't go along with it. The DaVinci Code ignores many facts, as more well informed people than I have demonstrated. When I challenged the factual nature of this book in a conversation with an online friend, she opined that due--of course--to my Christian brainwashing I couldn't be expected to understand the "deeper truths" of the novel. An atheist's analysis of the "facts" in the DaVinci code may convince her.

Suffice to say, I won't be seeing the DaVinci Code this weekend. I may see it later when my Netflix queue is getting empty. We will, however, be heading to the movies with the kidsthis weekend to see Over the Hedge, which is getting decent reviews and looks very funny.

HT: Get Religion, The Burr in the Burgh

1 comment:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Yep. Taking the kids to Over the Hedge this weekend. They'd rather see bad burp jokes than bad haircuts. ;)