Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Being home


This summer I am getting to enjoy something that is infrequent for me. I get to just be home. Cleaning doesn't have to be a panicked affair because someone is coming over. Meals can be cooked with care. Time can be spent deadheading flowers and thinning plants.

For the first time in recent memory I have five weeks until I need to go out of town, and I am not expecting any out-of-town company. I am, purposefully, barely working. I will be helping with, but not teaching, Vacation Bible School.

I am going to paint my powder room and refinish a couple of pieces of furniture. I am going to shorten the curtains in my dining area that have been driving me nuts. I'm going to clear clutter out of my basement. I'm going to make an apron like the ones my grandma wore.

I'm going to take my kids to the beach at an old quarry to swim. I'm going to play tennis. My mom and I are going to can pickles. I am going to start scrapbooking my 20-year-old's childhood pictures.

And, if I want to, I may even spend hours just doing nothing.

No comments: