Thursday, February 19, 2009

Check that off thelist

I have had one item on my to-do list that I have avoided mentioning because I have been feeling really guilty that it wasn't done. Today I crossed it off.

Patrick has a transcript and has applied to college.

For me, this is the hardest part of homeschooling. If we used a school-in-a-box curriculum it would be easy. If what we do from day to day looked more like traditional school, this would not be such an ordeal. But what we do looks nothing like school, so I have to take my kids' lives and their learning and quantify it. It's hard. I want to be accurate, neither overstating nor understating what the kids have learned.

But it's done. Although I would like to have had it done sooner, there really was no hurry. Patrick will be attending IPFW, and they take applications into the summer. We aren't filling out the Financial Aid Form, because we wouldn't qualify, so that was not a consideration. He will be living at home, so we don't need to worry about housing.

Now I just need to worry about paying for it.

And Jonathan is next.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I've started jotting down quick notes as we go thru the day, some legible, some not. They go into my weekly folder. At the end of the year, theoretically at least, I can make a list of everything we 'covered' during the year.

We'll see.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you go backwards to read comments left in something like a time warp. Looks like this entry you made was in 2009 ! But it's my words, is all I want to say. I could have written the very same for all three of my daughters who likely had a similar home school education to what your children have had. Though they are not the same age (17, 19 and 22), they are all taking off for community college together in August.

Love your blog. I'll be checking in occasionally. It helps to be amongst other home schooling moms of roughly my age, and now I've found many who are also Lutherans !

Fab indeed.


Cynthia
clearingmcconnel@wyom.net