Thursday, March 22, 2007

The urge to nest


Generally if you hear anyone talk about the nesting instinct it is in relation to pregnant women getting ready for baby.

I am definitely not pregnant.

But for the past week I've been cleaning, organizing, picking out paint, making plans for my garden, and just generally wanting to stay home and work on my nest.

Anyone who knows me knows that this is far from normal.

I think yesterday I finally figured out where this urge may be coming from. The past few weeks have been incredibly stressful. There is the grief of losing my grandma, which although it was expected has still been very hard. I keep getting the urge to go see her, and then I remember she is gone. Last week my younger step-sister was in the hospital and came far closer to death than I think most of the family realized at the time. On Sunday a dear friend unexpectedly lost her younger sister to cancer.

On top of all of this, we're refinancing our house and it is spring, which always makes we clean and plan a little.

So that's why I'm nesting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, hugs to you on the loss of your grandmother.
Ya know....I think when we human beings are bombarded with the fragility of life, we tend to 'circle the wagons' and stay close to home and those we love that we DO have with us. I know that was the case when we lost my mother a few years ago, and anytime I'm feeling raw...cirle the wagons. There's a blog in that;)
More hugs and happy memories.

~~

Marie N. said...

At times the domestic routines can bring comfort.

Anonymous said...

That's sad. Sorry about your grandma.

Maybe you are like the mother I saw on some movie who stays at home and cleans up when faced with some difficulties in life. I believe it's difficult for you to lose a grandma and I think that this is your moment.

Anonymous said...

I also know someone who doesn't go out. It's probably your way of spending time with yourself trying to forget about sad things that happened. Every person has his/her own way of doing it and it didn't surprised my that your actions are related to the loss of several people you know.

Unknown said...

Providing a haven for your family is one of the kindest things a mom and wife can do for her family, I think, and you are, in your gentle way doing just that.

My grandparents have been dead for many years now, but last summer before we moved, I found a huge pile of letters from my grandmother. It made me feel so loved. I miss her, so I completely understand how sad you must be.