Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ballerinas, blue jeans and Barbie

Yesterday Principessa & I went to the ballet. We saw Cinderella performed by the Fort Wayne Ballet accompanied by the Fort Wayne Philharmonic. It was a lovely classic performance and the music was wonderful. The costumes were exquisite.

As Bethany and I walked in behind a mom and daughter in jeans with a granddaughter in play clothes, she whispered, "They didn't read your blog." I am happy to report that they were the exception. There were many little girls in their finery accompanied by moms, aunts, and grandmas also dressed for a special occasion. (We will ignore the teenage girl in a tie-dyed tee shirt and sweats. It is too painful to recall.)

The little girl in front of us was a hoot. There were lots of very excited little ones in attendance, but she may have been the most exuberant. She had a ballerina Barbie. In fact, she had a ballerina Barbie with a spinning light-up skirt. It was quite a sight. Especially when the ushers caught a glimpse of the light flashing from the spinning skirt and thought that they had discovered another contraband camera.

As we left, my 20 year old said, "Mommy, I want to be a ballerina."

3 comments:

Marie N. said...

Ballet is my first love. I'm so glad you had a good time.

Melynda said...

We went too. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

Y'all should have come HERE to see Cinderella! ;o) They had it this past weekend. It was amazing! I loved it!
I think I counted at least six little girls dressed in Disney Cinderella costumes, and at the little gift shop they were selling tiaras and wands. Cheap and tacky? Oh yes. Absolutely adorable on a five-year-old? Of course. :o)