Friday, January 25, 2008

Time to retrench

Okay, I had two phone calls and an email asking why I am supposed to keep my leg up. For those who know me well, it will come as no surprise to know that I sprained an ankle. This time I sprained my good one. (At least it's not my driving ankle!)

Unfortunately, I have needed my driving ankle during the past 24 hours to get to the emergency room and the regional burn center.

Patrick had a run in with some hot olive oil yesterday. He has about eight burns on his face and neck and one on his arm. A couple of the worst on his face are two-three inches long and an inch across. They are mostly second-degree burns and should heal well with good wound care.

Both of these things happened because we are doing too much and running around like crazy people. There's going to be some serious schedule slashing around here.

I keep hurting myself because I have a badly healed ankle after surgery nine years ago and because I just keep getting more and more out of shape as each succeeding injury slows me down more. I never take he time to heal properly or exercise to get back lost function. If I don't put some serious effort into taking care of myself I'm going to end up really hurting myself sometime.

So, to compliment our budgetary cutbacks, we are also going to take a chunk out of our time commitments.

RETRENCH!

5 comments:

Gen said...

Ouch! Poor Patrick, and I feel for you on the ankle sprain. I'm always doing that too.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Jane, did you get my email that you won my blog contest? I need your snail mail address and what your (guest) bathroom colors are!

Marie N. said...

I'm just getting over a hot oil burn on my hand. Patrick has my empathy. Do take care of that ankle, even though that is harder than dealing with the discomfort.

RPW said...

Glad to hear that everything will heal well. Do what I do...say "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO" (lol)

Cheryl said...

Sorry to hear about the injury and accident! I hope everyone heals quickly (and life settles down)!