Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Thinking about style


I have always liked clothes and have been interested in fashion. I had a grandmother who taught me to shop for quality and to look at lines. When I was a child my mother and grandmother kept me in sweet little dresses with their sewing skills. I suffered in elementary school from being an early bloomer with unfashionable curves in the oh-so-flat '70's. In high school it was all about the fads. And in college I wished that I had the money to dress like the sorority girls in the oh-so-preppy '80s.

My taste has always outstripped my budget and it seems that when I do find clothes that fit me relatively well they are in pricey stores. I have started to collect some pieces that work well and have staying power, but I haven't had a plan.

Now I'm making a plan, thanks to two books suggested by my friend Polly:
The Pocket Stylist: Behind-the-Scenes Expertise from a Fashion Pro on Creating Your Own Look and 40 Over 40: 40 Things Every Women over 40 Needs to Know About Getting Dressed. I'm discovering that there are some things that I've been doing right, but there are other things that I can do that will help me feel better about my wardrobe and the way I look.

The pocket stylist, particularly, has great tips about finding clothes that suit the shape that you are, not the shape you would like to be or the shape that the models are. It has great advice about cuts, fabrics, & patterns that flatter and why. There are suggestions on how to shop to find what you want and about what to get rid of and what to hang on to.

Saturday I'm cleaning out my closet and taking my measurements. (Ugh!) Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute shoes! I tried on the most adorable black peep-toe pumps at a vintage store this week. They really hugged my foot - they covered up more of my foot than today's pumps. Sadly, this pair was a little too long. But they were pretty pink leather inside, and the heels curved just so, and they were very comfy - not thin and teetering, like all the shoes I try on these days . . . -- Polly

Jane said...

I love the way good vintage pumps are made. I had a pair of Italian kid pumps that I kick myself regularly for parting with.

Marie N. said...

I lost so many pairs of great shoes in having my children (my feet grew a half size each time).

Thanks for the books recommendations. Sounds like I should be checking these out too.