Saturday, July 29, 2006

The great outdoors

What a great trip!

I was not looking forward all that much to accompanying our youth to Turkey Run this week. Not because I didn't want to be with them, but I am still having trouble with my cartwheeling injury--torn ligament at the top of my hamstring--so I really couldn't hike or ride horses. I probably could have canoed, but I didn't want to take a chance since a canoeing accident was the cause of my first ankle injury over 30 years ago. I don't particularly like bugs, dirt, or being hot and sweaty, especially if I'm not doing anything fun while encountering them.

On top of that, I was doing the meals for 30+ people, which in itself is no big deal, but I haven't cooked over a fire since my girl scout days, and that was just cooking my own. I was really worried that everyone would either starve or get food poisoning.
And then of course there were all of the tasks calling my name at home.

But I had a fantastic time. We had matins in the mornings and had vespers in the afternoon/evening. We were blessed with preaching by three different pastors and some very interesting Bible study. Thursday evening the moms played Mexican train dominos, joined by Bethany and Thomas, and we had a great time. Pastor Fickel kept a running commentary while he was around and had me laughing so hard that I was crying. (By the way--if you know him--tell him he needs a blog.) Spending time with friends makes the bugs and dirt worthwhile. And cooking for everyone over the fire was awesome. I love to feed people, and it's amazing how good food cooked in a huge cast-iron skillet over a fire tastes!

I was so proud of all of our kids. From the youngest to the oldest they were cooperative, pleasant to be around, helpful, and polite. Deedle has a bit about it here, plus some more pictures.

I love it that this was a multi-age trip. Homeschooling has made us very aware of the way that people are segregated by age in our society. There is as much benefit to the teen who helps the six year old follow along in the hymnal, play in the pool, or make a rugged hike as there is to the younger child.



We're already talking about next summer.

1 comment:

Aaron.D.Nemoyer said...

I love outdoors activities.