Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Book club

It has been several years since I've been part of a book club and I have really missed it. I've been lucky to have an informal book group in my house--my kids and I have read and discussed many books over the years--but with Bethany gone even that is dying off. I read voraciously, but it is usually a solitary pursuit, and I'm not exactly the solitary type.

So you can imagine my excitement at having a book group again.

We met for our first discussion tonight. It was good: thoughtful, respectful, insightful. A couple of us liked the book better than the others, which is always going to be the case. That generally makes for more interesting discussion. I think we have a good mix of people. Everyone is well-educated, but in different areas. We range in age from mid/late 20s to late-ish 40s. We are all moms, but our kids range from 3-25. Most of us know each other, but there are a few people who aren't part of our usual group, and that adds something, too.

I think this is the start of something good. I like it.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

What did you read? Please post what books you're reading for those of us who are always looking for a good read. Thanks!

PS: Was your buffalo dip involved? Because that would make the whole night even better.

Jane said...

We read Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez. Carrie Ann and I liked it better than the others did, and we figured out that it had something to do with the fact that she was reading it as a sociologist and I was reading it as a history buff, whereas the others were reading more for the story. (That was one of the interesting things that came out of the discussion.) For June we are reading A Mountain of Crumbs by Elena Gorokhova.