Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Pretzels


I love pretzels. I'm a salty snack craver and pretzels do a wonderful job of satisfying the desire for crunch and salt in a relatively healthy way. And they're good with beer.

My all-time favorite pretzels were Mr. Salty pretzels, but they disappeared from store shelves a few years ago. I've tried lots of different kinds since then, and I've found some good ones: Extra Dark & Salty Beer Pretzels, Snyder's Butter Snaps, and a couple of others, but nothing that could replace the thin, crispy, pretzel-ly taste of Mr. Salty.

Until this weekend. There sitting on the shelf at Meijer were Schultz Salty Stix . The first good sign was the fact that they were in a box. Really thin crispy pretzels need a box. A bag would leave them in pretzel crumbs.

We opened them almost as soon as we got them home. The crunch. The taste. These are so close to Mr. Salty!

Of course the box has already disappeared. Usually pretzels stick around, because I am the only one who eats very many. But these were so good that the box was gone in a day.

'Bout time for a return trip to Meijer.

5 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

I didn't realize Mr Salty was no more.

I like Snyder's mustard pretzels.

Susan said...

I agree with Polly about Snyder's.

Schulz's sells huge bags of pretzels at Woodmans. I bought them once because they were the cheapest. But you're right: they're GOOD. That gives me double reason to buy that brand!

Marie N. said...

Congrats on finding a suitable replacement to a favorite comfort food.

gebbech said...

I've been eating Salty Stix for years and love them! However, I haven't been able to find them for several months. Does anyone know where I can find them now?

Jane said...

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=358437&h=030102&b=Shultz&p=1

Farm and Fleet online.
Amazon has them sporadically.